Similarweb’s Rank Tracker tool monitors your organic ranking position on a daily basis.
See where you stand against your competitors in the SERP by device type and location. With multiple reports and filters, you can easily sort by keywords that have gained or dropped in rankings, see your overall visibility, and dive deeper with tag and page reports.
What is the value?
Rank Tracker uses advanced filters and clear visualizations to help you spot trends, opportunities, and rank gains/drops, so you know when to adjust your SEO or content strategy and take action.
By setting up specific campaigns you can monitor the daily fluctuations in rank and in the SERP landscape. Track the keywords that are critical to your business, so you’re armed with actionable, fresh, always-on data to climb the SERPs against even your fiercest competitors.
Using Rank Tracker, Marketers & SEO Managers can:
- Track Trends and Changes: Track fluctuations in rank to spot opportunities and declining keywords so you can act fast.
- Monitor Competitors: Track five competitor sites at daily granularity and unearth insight into their rankings and search strategy. Also see who is ranking on page one for any search term to reveal new competitors and traffic-winning sites.
- Understand the SERPs: Identify new organic & paid SERP features per keyword to increase your search visibility.
- Avoid Cannibalization: See where you have two or more pages competing for one keyword, then assess user search intent and adapt your content targeting strategy.
- Find New Content Ideas: With an insight into the keywords and pages ranking well for your competitors, you can give recommendations for optimizations and new articles to your content team.
How to set up rank tracking
- Create a new campaign: Click ‘create campaign'.
- Enter the URL of the website you’d like to track and enter a name for your campaign.
Note: Input the URL for the website as a whole, not a subdomain or subfolder. Similarweb's rank tracker supports multiple campaigns, so give each campaign a name specific to what you're tracking
- Input your direct competitors: Enter up to 5 competitors to monitor for your campaign. We will still track all organic competitors for your campaign.
- Tip: Similarweb will provide a list of similar sites to track. Or, enter any other website into the search bar.
- As with the campaign creation, no subdomains or subfolders are supported at this stage.
- Define your target search engine, device, and geo:
- Select the search engine you’re targeting.
- Specify the location, language, and device type to focus on your existing keyword campaigns or monitor markets of interest.
- You can choose up to three combinations for each campaign. For example, you can track the same location on both desktop and mobile, or you can track three different locations.
- Add keywords & tags to track: Enter the keywords you want to track. You can:
- manually input keywords and tags,
- import a CSV file (we have a ready-made template for you), or
- select an existing keyword list you’ve created in the platform.
- Click Finish, and you’re done!
Once you save your Rank Tracker Campaign, it will take at least 24 hours for your results to generate. Once results are generated, your daily ranks and reports will update daily.
How to analyze the rank position of a site
Once you’ve set up your campaign(s), you can analyze the ranking positions of your tracked site versus your competitors and see how this changes over time. You can use filters to hone in on keywords in certain positions, or keywords that have gained or dropped in rankings.
The Summary metric displays your weighted average position, visibility, and clicks. You can dig deeper by analyzing the following reports:
- Keywords - see the performance of all tracked keywords, filter and sort as necessary for deeper analysis.
- Tags - track rankings of your tagged keyword groups. Again, use advanced filters to get even more granular
- Pages - see rank at a URL level: understand which pages are ranking for which keywords
- Competitors - dive deeper into your competitors’ performance to understand their gains, losses and overall position and strategy
- SERP Features - see the holistic SERPscape for page 1 of Google - see how the make-up of the SERP influences visibility, traffic and where you should focus your efforts
Key metrics & insights
|Organic Position||The organic rank of a keyword on Google’s SERP|
|Weighted Average Position||Average ranking position for your keyword set weighted by search volume|
Percentage of how visible your site is on the SERP weighted by search volume. A keyword is considered visible only when it enters the top 3 pages of the SERP.
Rankings after the third page receive a keyword visibility score of 0.
|Clicks||Estimated clicks resulting from the keyword set|
|Monthly Search Volume||Monthly search volume is based on real-user data for unrivaled accuracy|
|SERP Features||See which features appear for which keywords|
|Search Intent||the motivation behind the user’s search|
|Keyword Difficulty||the comparative difficulty to rank for this keyword|
|CPC||Cost per click for paid search campaigns|
Try it now >> Rank Tracker
Q: Can I track mobile and desktop?
A: Yes, within a campaign, you have three variables to pick from, so you are able to track both desktop and mobile for the same campaign.
Q: How many keywords can I track per campaign?
A: There’s no limit to the amount of keywords a campaign is able to track. However, there may be a limit to how many keywords you can track based on your subscription. Reach out to your account manager to check or to add more keywords to your account.