Location: Research > Search Keyword Analysis > Keyword Groups > Create New List > Keyword Generator Tool
The Keyword Generator tool automatically generates lists of keywords based on a seed keyword across any language and market. From exact terms to long-tail keywords, users receive hundreds of keyword suggestions and can see exact search volume, trends and the website winning for each keyword.
Use the keyword generator to:
- Cluster your keywords by topic, intent and business value - instead of building web pages optimized around one keyword, you build your website around key topics that are central to your business and services
- Build out your content marketing strategy with SEO-optimized content
- Find gaps in your content marketing plan
- Discover the best keywords for your paid search campaigns
- Optimize your PPC campaigns
- Give the right titles to your articles or blog posts
To generate keywords:
- From Search Keyword Analysis, enter a seed keyword you would like to analyze.
- Within Keyword Ideas, click Keyword Generator Tool.
You can see:
Phrase-match keywords: Includes all search terms that contain broad and exact match mention of your seed keyword. So if your seed keyword was "car insurance", we'll surface all the user searches in the selected geo (in this search, we'll use the USA) that include the words "car insurance", like:
- car insurance near me
- military car insurance
- car insurance quotes
- liability insurance for rental cars
Related keywords: Includes all search terms that are semantically similar to your seed keyword - that means you'll be able to broaden your keyword search to search terms that match the intent of the user, rather than just the exact words. We offer these results by looking at the other keywords that the websites pages' getting the most traffic from your seed keyword also rank for.
So if your seed keyword was car insurance, we'll surface all the user searches that are relevant to the words "car insurance", like:
- quick online car quote
- vehicle insurance quotes
- online drivers insurance
- full coverage insurance quote
In the table, you can see:
- Keywords: Words and phrases that people enter into search engines
- Volume: Average number of monthly searches for this keyword (over the past 12 months)
- Yearly trend: Search volume for these keywords (over the past 12 months)
- CPC: Average price that advertisers paid for a click on their ad in a Google’s paid search results (over the past 12 months)
- Organic vs Paid: Distribution of organic versus paid search traffic
- Leader: Website receiving the most traffic for this keyword
Generating relevant keywords at scale is key for success in your content marketing and SEO efforts. Gathering two extensive keyword lists of phrase-match and related keywords can ensure you outrank the competition, gain quality organic traffic and improve conversion rates. Ultimately, long-tail keywords are how people search the internet.
How is the Keyword Generator different to Google Keyword Planner?
The Google Ads Keyword Planner relies on search volumes and Google's related keyword data. SimilarWeb's Keyword Generator mines actual searches made by our panel and is based on a representative data set of keyword relationships, similar to broad-matched search terms.
In many ways Keyword Generator provides a complementary service to Google’s Keyword Planner. While the Keyword Planner offers keyword suggestions for a Google Ads campaign, SimilarWeb’s Keyword provides comprehensive coverage of the keywords including the leading domain for each and a breakdown of paid and organic search terms.