In this guide, we’ll show you how to track the performance of your paid traffic by monitoring trends and changes in your market. By closely following market trends, you can optimize your paid strategy, keywords and messaging to deliver better results.
We’ll cover the following key questions:
- Find out who is bidding on your target keywords
- Build a comprehensive view of all your main keywords
- Create a paid performance overview dashboard
Find out who is bidding on your target keywords
Measure the efficiency of your campaigns, find your main competitors and flag up-and-coming players by understanding who else is getting traffic for your relevant keywords.
Discover who you’re up against:
- In the Research module, select Search Keyword Analysis
- If you already have a Keyword Group, you can select one from the list. If you need to create a new keyword group, start by typing a keyword in the search bar.
- In the side menu, choose Paid Competitors to discover your competition for a given keyword or keyword group.
- In the table, you can see the traffic share for each given domain.
Take note of the top players and add new ones to your custom category to analyze their performance on an on-going basis.
Get more insights on the marketing activities for each keyword by viewing the landing page for any given keyword using the Destination URL column.
Once you find the leading website for a certain keyword you can analyze their paid advertising strategy to understand how they gained their dominant position by looking at their Search Ads and Ad Creatives. Read how to optimize your search strategy in this article.
Build a comprehensive view of all your main keywords
Monitoring the keywords you are targeting is an essential step in keeping track of keyword traffic share and in ensuring brand protection.
By navigating to your workspace (through the top menu bar), you can easily create keyword lists - either by manually uploading your keywords or generating a list of keywords with the keyword generator tool.
This dashboard will help you understand where you should allocate more budget, what keyword groups you should focus more on promoting, and what your leading keywords are.
- Based on the previous step, you will now know your top competitors. The next step is to go to the Website Analysis tool and add up to 4 additional competitors using the compare button.
- Now choose a country filter and time period. We recommend choosing a longer time period to gain better insights.
- On the left-hand corner menu bar, click on Keywords. Then, choose a non-branded keyword and paid only.
- You can use the search bar to look for a certain topic.
- Use the check boxes to the left of each keyword to choose the keywords you want to include in your group, then click on Select Group at the top of the table and hit Create New Group. Creating a Keyword Group will make it easier for you to track these keywords on a regular basis.
You can create multiple keyword groups to monitor your performance across all of your keywords by creating a dashboard. Our recommendation is to build a keyword group for each one of your products/categories and create a separate dashboard for branded keywords to ensure your brand is protected.
Create a paid performance overview dashboard
Create a dashboard to obtain a comprehensive overview of your paid performance and to track the important changes across your chosen websites, mobile apps, industries, and keywords.
- On the top menu bar, go to Dashboards, click on Add Dashboard and search for Paid Search Performance
- Build a custom dashboard for your brand’s Paid Search Performance by adding the relevant metrics for both display and search.
- Build a different dashboard to track your partner portfolio your industry, your competitors, and more.
- Subscribe to receive the dashboard directly in your email
- Share the dashboard with your team.
- Click here to learn how to build a custom dashboard from scratch to see other metrics.
- In all the elements in the SimilarWeb Platform, if you would like to add a certain graph or metric to your dashboard, you will be able to click the + icon next to it and select the dashboard that it should be added to.
If you see a major increase in traffic by a particular competitor, seek to understand how they are generating this traffic by analyzing their search ads and looking at their recent ad copy and keywords.